These miniature cupcakes are the perfect bite size treat! Ideal for parties, afternoon tea…or just anytime you fancy something small and sweet.
You guys know I love making cupcakes. I think half of my recipes are cupcakes, and believe me when I tell you there’s plenty more where they came from. But I’ve decided I need to share a series of mini versions with you too. Just look at how dinky and cute they are!
This recipe is super simple and easy to follow. It’s essentially a traditional vanilla sponge mix, but I’ve added a little bit of natural yoghurt, which will help to keep your cupcakes really light and moist.
You will need a bit of special equipment for these cupcakes – mini cupcakes obviously call for both mini tins and cases, but you can find these and most kitchen or bakeware stores. Something else that I also find super helpful is a miniature ice cream scoop. Not only do they come in handy for mini portions or batter, they’re great for making truffles too, so I really recommend grabbing one if you can. If not, a couple of spoons will serve you just fine!
Remember that the baking time for these minis is also a bit different from their full sized counterparts – I find that for my oven, 15 minutes is perfect, but you can always do a bit of testing to find the right time for you.
65g self raising flour
65g caster sugar
2tbsp natural yoghurt
1tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 140°C (280°F, gas mark 1) and place 12 mini cupcake cases in a mini cupcake tin.
- Crack the egg into a bowl, add the sugar and beat with a whisk. Melt the butter and add to the egg mixture, followed by the yoghurt and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt, and gently fold into the wet ingredients. Be careful not to overmix – stop when you can’t see anymore flour.
- Divide the batter between the mini cupcake cases, filling to about two thirds of the way and bake for 15 minutes.
- Allow your cupcakes to cool for a few minutes in the tin then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Top with a little dollop of vanilla buttercream and enjoy!
What other miniature cupcakes would you like to see on The Sweet Taste Bakery? Drop me a comment below!